CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

MOM, HER TWIN SISTER - AND THEIR HANDSOME BROTHER, RICHARD!



I'll 'kick-off' this 'blog', with a couple entries; it seems this is the first photo' that I can share, so you can see mother; her sister (who is still alive and also a wonderful woman - nick-named 'Shorty').

Uncle Dick (as I called him), and I shared the same 11/26 birthday - this man was just the happiest and most generous person; a productive life, but we lost him about 10 years ago.
They grew up on a large beef-breeding farm outside of Kalamazoo, Michigan.

My grandfather's farm (their dad) was known for breeding the finest of Hereford cattle; sheep - horses, and exceptional crops.

Grandpa was very active in the National Cattlemen's Association and spent many weeks traveling about under the guidance of Secretary of Agriculture, Ezra Taft Benson back in the 1950's.

Great Grandmother Grace, and Great Grandfather Charles bought the farm and lovely home that was built about 1861 outside of Galesburg, Michigan.

The farm and home were kept lovely for so many years - not until around 1997 (over 100 years later), was the farm sold; just this past year it was decided to burn the home after the land had been sold some years ago for a land-fill site.

Mother was diligent (even while recovering from cancer) in over-seeing the distribution of a few remaining items that she could salvage from the home-stead.
Mom wanted to be sure some of the family had a few things that would remain as a fond reminder of the home that meant so much to her.

From shutters that went to my daughter's home; a kerosene lamp that
shone brightly in my grandpa's kitchen (and now glows in my daughter's kitchen),
whatever could be taken before the destruction of the home, was carried out.

Nothing was seen as 'not good enough' - nothing was 'too humble'; everything had meaning, and has meaning as we now cherish those few things in our homes today.

I'll wait until others have added some of their thoughts, before I get 'too wordy' - it's just I'm excited that we can make this a loving project so it will ever remain and be kept current, by those that survive all of us.
So, here's my first contribution - it won't be my last.
Diane

0 comments: